Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: README.AI

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: README.AI
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:40:31 +0200

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 07:08:06PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> Expanded version attached.
>
> Wrote Amortize and added Estimation of battle profit sections.
> Added a couple of bugs.  Added "things worked upon" section.  Added a
> suggestion on struct choice.

> Tried to avoid formatting other peoples text.  But I really wanted to add
> double line interval between different sections.

Why don't you do it?

> INTRODUCTION
> ============
>
> The Freeciv AI is widely recognized as being as good as or better
> militarywise as the AI of certain other games it is natural to compare
> it with. It does, however, lack diplomacy and can only do war. It is
> also too hard on novice players and too easy for experienced players.
>
> The code base is not in a good state. It has a number of problems,
> from very messy and not very readable codebase, to many missing
> features to some bugs, which aren't easy to fix due to unreadable
> code. The problem is, that most the code was written by someone who
> didn't care about code readibility a lot. After he left the project,
> various people have contributed their own mostly unfinished hacks
> without really fixing the main issues in the AI code, resulting in
> even more mess.
>
>   Another problem is that not all code is residing in ai/ (which is
> currently still linked to a server, but there're plans to separate
> this completely to some kind of client, working name is "civbot"),
> but it is also dissolved in little chunks in the whole server/.
> Aside that, server/settlers.c is only AI stuff - the problem is,
> that most of it is used also for the autosettlers, so we can't
> separate it from the server.
>
>   This file aims to describe all such problems, in addition to various
> not entirely self-describing constants and equations used in the code
> commonly.

Either indent all sections with two spaces or none.

> AMORTIZE
> ========
>
> Hard fact:
> amortize(benefit, delay) returns benefit * ((MORT - 1)/MORT)^delay
> (where ^ = to the power of)
>
> Speculation:
> What is better, to receive 10$ annually starting 5 years from now or
> 5$ annually starting from this year?  The function amortize is

"now" and "this year" is the same for me.

> meant to help you answer this question.  To achieve this, it rescales
> the future benefit in terms of todays money.
>
> Suppose we have a constant rate of inflation, x percent.  Then in five
> years time 10$ will buy as much as 10*(100/(100+x))^5 $ will buy
> today.  Denoting 100/(100+x) by q we get the general formula, N$ in Y
> years time will be equivalent to N*q^Y in todays money.  If we will
> receive N$ every year starting Y years from now, the total amount
> receivable (in todays money) is

Please drop the $. They make it hard to read.

                      ^

> ESTIMATION OF PROFIT FROM A MILITARY OPERATION
>
> This estimation is implemented by kill_desire function (which isn't
> perfect: multi-victim part is flawed) plus some corrections.  In
> general,
>         Want = Operation_Profit * Amortization_Factor
> where
>
> * Amortization_Factor is completely beyond me (but it's a function of the
> estimated time length of the operation).
>
> * Operation_Profit = Battle_Profit - Maintenance
>
> where
>
> * Maintenance
>   = (1 shield + Unhappiness_Compensation) * Operation_Time
>   (here unhappiness is from military unit being away from home)

And for what is the shield?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "This is Linux Country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows reboot."