Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: FW: Red Hat Network ...

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: FW: Red Hat Network ...
From: "Arnold Cavazos Jr." <abcjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 14:09:29 -0600

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 11:22:45AM -0600, jeffrey l koehn wrote:
> Money makes the world go round.
> You have a choice on how you make it and
> where you spend it.
> So somebody offers to sell you RedHat Linux with GPL
> and Open Source for $250.00 or Microsoft Windows for $250.00.
> Which will you choose?
> Same goes for the system/systems that you purchase.

I would buy the machine from the vendor with Windows and either move the
windows license to a business office workstation or sell the license.
Then I would install RedHat (or most likely in my case FreeBSD).  Now
who wins in that situation?  I have essentially either made or saved
money in the deal, Microsoft sells a license, and RedHat doesn't get
jack.

I personally believe this is the type of behavior is what they are tying
to prevent.

I have RedHat 8 installed on a laptop just to see how easy it is to use.
I do think that it is quite easy to use, and easy to keep patched as
well (little red flashing Icon on the "tray?" letting you know to run
up2date).  Although, I would never consider running it as a production
server platform.

--
Arnold Cavazos, Jr.             abcjr@xxxxxxxxx