Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: FW: Red Hat Network ...

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: FW: Red Hat Network ...
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 06:26:38 -0600

* ironrose <ironrose@xxxxxxx> [2003 Mar 08 06:06 -0600]:
> I just hope that the public doesn't take advantage of Open
> Source's generosity and belittle the streamlined and useful programs
> that Open Source has to offer.

Taking advantage of and abusing this community is happening right
now--by an outfit called SCO-Caldera.

I know Dale dropped a link in here yesterday about the news of the
lawsuit filed by SCO-Caldera against IBM.  Everybody has probably
already read as much as they care to on this subject.

In short, though, Linux Weekly News did include an excerpt from the
filed complaint in which SCO-Caldera claims that Linux was merely a
toy, a hobbyist OS (and other put-downs), until a benefactor appeared
(alleged to be IBM) and added all sorts of things that could only be
explained by copying SCO-Caldera's source code into Linux.  How absurd.

A delicious irony was also pointed out on LWN, that being that Alan Cox
began the SMP work on Linux around 1995 (long before IBM took an active
interest in Linux) on a multi-processor machine donated, by of all
companies, Caldera.

This is a pure money play.  However, the community needs to take this
seriously and fight this in all manner possible and do what we can to
ensure SCO-Caldera does not get one red cent of what they are asking.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and