Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: FW: Red Hat Network ...

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: FW: Red Hat Network ...
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 19:47:17 -0600

On Thursday 06 March 2003 18:12, you wrote:
> Dale W Hodge wrote:
> >This article is an interesting read.  I'm not quite sure what I think
> > about RedHat's policies...
> >

> >.. from today's register:
> >
> >    "Getting Red Hat Network support for free just got harder
> >     Surveyware? Egad...
> >        http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/29542.html";
> >
> >    and yet another reason NOT to depend on RH ...
>
> Yeah, I got my warning by email that my "demo" account was ending in a
> few days and that I could renew it for 60 days. I immediately downloaded
> Debian (jigdo is, well...rather unique...). Everybody's got their hand
> out begging these days. I feel like a large fish with thousands of
> swarming $30/mo. parasites trying to attach themselves to me....
>
> Lb

I will say that the way I keep my systems up to date. (that wasn't intended
as a pun) is apt-get. apt for rpm is great, and many people running redhat
have been creating (word escapes me) (you know the things that apt uses,
defined in sources.list) for redhat.

google for "apt rpm" and the site you likely want is apt.tuxfamily.org (or
something like that)

James L