Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:20:21 -0600

Nate Bargmann wrote:

>* bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx> [2002 Dec 16 21:05 -0600]:
>

>>The result was that the heads had to move less on the outer
>>tracks and the data came off faster (more bits per revolution).
>>I suspect this scheme is still used - you'd have to ask a disk
>>designer.
>>

>That jogs my memory and I seem to recall that this technique is what's
>being used on modern drives.  This would take into account that a
>certain amount of magnetic material is required for X amount of data
>storage and there is more per track at the outer edge.

IIRC you are correct (the sector-per-cylinder numbers are at best an
average and more likely highly underrated). IIRC the C-H-S number of 63
sectors per cylinder has not changed in several years, and drive
capacity is increasing exponentially.
On the older slower drives the data was actually contiguous in
sequential sectors. On todays higher speed drives I believe a standard
interleave of 3:1 is used, Thus contiguous sectors in a track are
actually every 3rd sector physically. This allows for reads and writes
with data transfers in the buffers during the skips of sectors -- faster
through-put overall.

With these updates in drive performance, the major slowdowns are the
requirements for head seeks. This becomes a factor in fragmented files,
or repetitive seeks to data located in  different areas of the disk.