Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 23:02:21 -0600

The Commodore computers did something similar on their 5.25" floppies.
Although in theory that could allow for faster access on the tracks that
hold more information, in reality, those drives were so slow that it really
didn't make any difference anyway :)

Another random tangent on Commodore floppy drives... they often had more CPU
power than the main computer did.  Some programmers would even offload
repetative tasks to the floppy drive to do, or use the small amounts of
memory in the floppy drives for temporary storage.

Hmmm!  D.net for hard drive controllers, anyone?

-- Jonathan