Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:12:48 -0600

>Oh. my NT box at work is stable too.  In the same way concrete is
>stable.  Only problem is that on bootup so much background stuff is
>loaded by default (and no, I don't have admin rights to change it) that
>opening Lotus Notes 5 causes a fair amount of swapping and if Acrobat 5
>is opened with Notes, you just as well go get a cup of coffee or some
>such.
>
>This isn't the fault of NT per se, but is a glaring example of our IT
>Dept
>trying to crowd too much on limited hardware.  I tried adding a 128 MiB
>SODIMM to the machine last week, but found that generic memory won't
>work in that Compaq.  So, I need to buy a specific version for the
>Compaq.  Arrgh!

Nate, (and for all the others who may not be aware of hardware requirements)
The Compaq (in most cases) required EDO memory when using SIMMs. (This
is similar to the requirements of the Micron computers).
I am not sure about DIMMs since I quit using Compaq before they all went
to P-III and newer.
My premise would be they likely have similar requirements (and if
running Athalon or P-4 it would probably be DDR memory).