Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:57:09 -0600 (CST)

> * Jonathan Hall <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx> [2002 Dec 13 06:05 -0600]:
>> My laptop (486DX2/50, 24mb RAM, 10gb HD) is living proof that Win95 is
>> better than Linux for GUI operation on limited hardware.  I have both
>> 95 OSR2 and Linux (Debian woody) installed.  I don't even bother using
>> X any more.  For a while, when my main PC was down, I used that laptop
>> as my main home computer, and used it in 95 the whole time (nearly 6
>> months), b/c it was so much faster than X with the most basic
>> configuration was in Linux.
>
> I think this is an apples vs. oranges comparison.  Saying a 6 to 7 year
> old consumer "OS" works better on hardware a slight bit older than said
> "OS" compared to a Debian distribution released a few months ago on
> the same hardware seems inconsistent to me.  A better comparision is
> against Debian Woody.

I think a valid comparison is "An OS which runs modern applications."  And
Windows 95 will run 95% of modern Windows applications.  If you need to
use an application that won't run on Windows 95, then in that context,
Windows 95 is not valid, and W2k Server or XP Pro may be.
But for what most people do, Windows 95 *is* a valid comparison, so long
as the context is understood.
Also, the opensource nature of Linux makes it much more possible to
fine-tune Linux and only use the portions you need.  Even so, a very
MINIMAL installation of Debian 2.2 + X is far slower than a FULL
installation of Win95.  If you want to be "fair" I could install Debian
1.3, so that I'm using a 6-year old version of that, as well, but the
resource requirements of that will be practically identical (if not worse)
than in Debian 2.2 to perform the same tasks in X.
XF3 hasn't fundamentally chaged much since 1995--certianly not nearly as
much as Windows has.  The main changes in the Linux GUI have been in
window managers and desktop environments.
-- Jonathan