Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 06:34:31 -0600

* Ironrose <ironrose@xxxxxxx> [2002 Dec 15 21:28 -0600]:

> Where do you work at Nate?  I had the same problems when I was at CCH.
> Maybe they could streamline the startup and then you open apps from
> desktop icons.  Atleast that would help NT not to choke and chug thru
> the startup.

Union Pacific Railroad.

The IT Dept, of which I used to be a part until about three years ago,
governs the installation and what software is run.  In fact most of the
stuff is loaded via a Netware script, so there is little the user could
do except unload the stuff if they had admin rights.  They've got quite
a bit of cruft loading including Norton AV, which seems ridiculous to me
as we don't use Lookout and the NT security model should halt most any
virus that lands on the machine,  The process list one the poor machine
is running is as long as your arm.

> I have been installing too many apps & libraries with the linux installs
> and that is why my fast computers have been choked down.  I removed most
> of the KDE apps and then Xwindows wouldn't start.  Time for another
> install and I will try the text method this time.  ~Anne

I would hasten to say that a re-install is not necessary.  There are
several X startup scripts one of which is probably trying to start a KDE
session which then fails because of a deleted package.  Try putting an
.xsession into your home directory and 'chmod +x .xsession'.  In this
file you can add a single line something on the order of:

exec /usr/bin/X11/icewm

to start the IceWM window manager.  Change the last program name to your
favorite WM.  Your ~/.xsession should override the system defaults, if
the scripts are setup correctly.  From ~/.xsession you can start
programs like Xscreensaver along with other programs you'd like to run
at X startup.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and