Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:36:59 -0600

Carl D Cravens wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Luke Wahlmeier wrote:
>

>>partition it and usally put it on the slowest part of
>>there drive, that could cause temidious speed
>>diffrance.
>>

>Now I'm not real hardware savvy nowdays, but in all my years of computing
>(since 1980) I've never heard of one part of a hard drive being "slower"
>than another.
>
>Care to explain?

speed of access, related to seek time.
on an average, sectors located near the spindle are faster to access
than sectors located near the outer edge.

This becomes very noticeable when the drive has to access a swap
partition that is toward the outer edge and with limited memory is doing
a lot of swaps.