Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:19:13 -0600

Ironrose wrote:

>I have been installing too many apps & libraries with the linux installs
>and that is why my fast computers have been choked down.  I removed most
>of the KDE apps and then Xwindows wouldn't start.  Time for another
>install and I will try the text method this time.  ~Anne

Unless you tell it to start the services, apps and libraries do not slow
my machine.
The only thing requiring CPU time is the processes that are actually
active, NOT jut the ones installed.

Unlike WinBlows which seems to hook a lot of stuff into the registry and
start them everytime you boot, and you have little or no control over
that unless you change things after the install.

I do a complete install of RH with everything except the multilingual
howtos and man pages and NEVER see a problem with speed unless I have
MANY applications running and using a lot of cpu time (Also have 3
sessions of seti using 100%cpu any time the machine is idle on a higher
priority task).

I don't see any problems, and the only apparent drag I have from using
that much cpu constantly is that when burning CDs I have to reduce the
speed to about 16X.

I also only have 256M memory and using a 512M swap space it has never
touched more than 100M of that,