Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:18:51 -0600

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 12:31:21PM -0600, flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> An X Box (or any game console) isn't necissarily a BAD choice... it's just
> far inferior to a PC.  If you're willing to live with that, so be it.

I think that's another over-generalization.

What is important to the gamer?  Perhaps it is the ability to be able to
play games on the big-screen 42" TV in the entertainment center -- a TV that
a PC doesn't even get close to working on.  Perhaps it's the ease of use of
a system where you just insert a game, turn it on, and everything works --
rather than having to install random conflicting DirectX drivers, update
DLLs, change expensive video cards, etc.  Perhaps it's cost of a console vs.
a PC.  The reliability of a solid-state device could be a factor too.