Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 12:31:21 -0600 (CST)

> You can stop a lot of headaches by doing one or two things:
> Just set up one computer for all your games (Windows)
> and do not use it for anything else like for MS OFFICE,
> Quickbooks, etc and do not use it for the net or for
> all your gaming needs get an X-Box, Playstation, etc.
> because a lot of Windows games can crash a system.
> To Play the new Graphical games you need to have
> a Powerful PC which cost $ So which is better buying
> a Powerful PC or an X-Box.
> It is just a personal preference but it
> is going to cost money however you want
> to slice it.

Considering that most TVs have such a low dot-pitch that their effective
resolution is somewhere around 300x200, their sound output is stereo at
best (often effectively mono, depending on your TV & sound output
hardware), and the fact that CPUs are dirt cheap, you can build a PC with
"equivolent" power (not necissarily equivolent software support) with a
cheap 3D card, average sound card, and a run-of-the-mill CPU.
If you already have a PC, the cost goes down drastically.

An X Box (or any game console) isn't necissarily a BAD choice... it's just
far inferior to a PC.  If you're willing to live with that, so be it.
Nothing wrong with that.  I think it's silly to suggest a game console as
an equivollent alternative to a Windows gaming PC, though, b/c they're
drastically different.

> I Know what your saying, that when you
> buy used or outdated equipment that was meant for
> Windows then it's easier to just use Windows
> on it and forget it. Thats fine by me. But
> doesn't  Linux have the right to be on
> NEW state of the art equipment so the
> Shine will clearly show? You see it can very easily

Sure, but that's beyond the scope of the statement I made when I said that
Windows was easier, and thus seemingly out of line to use that as a
springboard into an argument :)