Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: jeffrey l koehn <caveman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 11:55:00 -0600

On Sunday 15 December 2002 12:08 pm, you wrote:
> i wish i knew what i was doing . . .
>
> i know i don't want to spend any of my hard earned $
> on computer stuff that doesn't work or is out-dated quickly,
> or that's too difficult to use 'out of the box,' and i think
> that's part of what this thread is about . . . .
>
> i've got a windows box next to the linux box
> mentioned earlier; i think i turned the windows
> box on maybe twice in the last four months ....
>
> i could have dual partitioned the now linux box,
> but the windows box was given to me, so it was a 'free' computer,
> and it already had windows on it, and i need it to do
> the stuff the windows users do; you know, if i leave the
> windows box on, i get to reboot every day -- that's something
> i suppose all windows users are familiar with.
>
> i can just leave the linux box on to do 'regular' computer
> stuff on an on-going stable basis, but sometimes i do
> use windows because it IS easier.
>
> does that make sense?

Well yes, but the Linux Kernel, Linux distros, and Linux Apps
are moving at a good pace on a daily basis so
about everything you do with Windows can be done with LInux.
Plus, You can spend more money on hardware with
the money you have saved by using Linux and Linux Apps.
One of the things that people are waiting for
is a high $ CAD/CAM application and
PRO/ENGINEER for Linux will be out
in the first quarter of 2003.
And the other thing is the games that
you can get for Windows.
People always say, " but can i play
my Windows games with Linux?", and
then I tell them that some of the older
games they can but if that's what they are
wanting then just get an X BOX and
get the hell away from me:)