Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: jeffrey l koehn <caveman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 22:30:44 -0600

On Saturday 14 December 2002 07:43 pm, you wrote:
> > well, I would have to offer a few sugestions when it
> > come to that laptop.  one of the things that has
> > always made linux look bad is that people dual
> > partition it and usally put it on the slowest part of
> > there drive, that could cause temidious speed
> > diffrance.  another thing you could try is, get the
> > source compile it static this helps tremidously, after
> > compliing it, run "strip --strip-debug" to all if the
> > new binaries it made this decreases the size of almost
> > all complied programs by a 2 to 5 ratio.  as far as
> > just trying to use a distro on a computer with limited
> > hardware, don't think thats the best idea, make your
> > own, or find some one else that has one made for a
> > simalare setup, compile kernel specific option.
> > Stream line it all for that computer.  and remeber win
> > 95 came out when computers were around 25mz with 8mb
> > ram.  I honestly can not think of any disro that came
> > out trying to meet those requirments.  but in open
> > source you can make it
>
> I'm well aware of such options.  I have Linux after teh 1st
> partition on my laptop, simply b/c I dual-boot, and Win95 needs
> to be on the first partition.  But it's a 10gb drive, and Linux
> starts at 2gb.  NTM, the IDE controller is more likely the
> bottleneck than the drive access times. I always use my own
> kernel, regardless of hardware restraints.  And I usually use
> minimal options, whether I recompile or not. I've done a lot of
> optimization (for speed as well as size) on many packages for
> various purposes, so I'm well aware of the available 'tricks'.
> And undoubtedly, with enough such tricks, I could get an X system
> to run 'reasonably well' on my laptop.  Simple fact of the matter
> is... it's easier to use Windows :)

 Not if your using a Linux System.
You see there are Systems that were built just for MS Wiindows
and now there are systems built just for Linux.
If You want a Linux system then you have to spend the money
for one and then you can play around with all the open source
software you want and it will be easier to use Linux
plus you get to see the code.