Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux as an alternative to a Windows desktop
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 02:33:39 -0600

> > I'm well aware of such options.  I have Linux after teh 1st
> > partition on my laptop, simply b/c I dual-boot, and Win95 needs
> > to be on the first partition.  But it's a 10gb drive, and Linux
> > starts at 2gb.  NTM, the IDE controller is more likely the
> > bottleneck than the drive access times. I always use my own
> > kernel, regardless of hardware restraints.  And I usually use
> > minimal options, whether I recompile or not. I've done a lot of
> > optimization (for speed as well as size) on many packages for
> > various purposes, so I'm well aware of the available 'tricks'.
> > And undoubtedly, with enough such tricks, I could get an X system
> > to run 'reasonably well' on my laptop.  Simple fact of the matter
> > is... it's easier to use Windows :)
>
>  Not if your using a Linux System.
> You see there are Systems that were built just for MS Wiindows
> and now there are systems built just for Linux.
> If You want a Linux system then you have to spend the money
> for one and then you can play around with all the open source
> software you want and it will be easier to use Linux
> plus you get to see the code.

It seems you and I are doing a good deal of miscommunicating lately.

To me it seems that given the context of the statement, it's fairly obvious
that I was refering to _me_ and _my laptop_ when I said "it's easier to use
Windows (as opposed to going to the long hassle of recompiling all binaries
on my system for optimization on my 486)".