Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] ACLUG

To: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] ACLUG
From: bbales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 21:07:50 -0600

Jesse,
Somehow this got all blown out of proportion.  Please don't leave the list.
We value your input.

Attendance was down, the website was a shambles, the meetings were
intermittent, the president quit and we were trying to find a way to get more
attendance and better presentations. Newcomers weren't being acknowledged.
And we needed to spread things around so no-one was doing all the work.

We went around the group and everyone introduced himself.  We looked at the
questionaires that had been returned and tallied the topics that had been
requested on them.

We then began discussing how to better determine what topic to present
without doing it at a meeting and somehow decided that if we did it online it
would be best to not bother the whole group (some 300 people I am told) with
a discussion of topics, when most could not attend and had no interest in.
The announcement would be still posted on the regular list.

Easy solution.  Make another list for attendees only.  New attendees would
introduce themselves and put themselves on the list.  Discussion on this list
could find topics of interest to those who would be most likely to attend,
which is probably those who had attended a recent meeting.

I think some of us got the wrong idea about the "list."  Or maybe I did.  I
thought we were putting control of the meetings in the hands of those who
attend the meetings, which seems logical.  The ACLUG mailing list should not
be affected in any way.  Someone else had a different idea and made an almost
rude response on the ACLUG list.  'Nuff said.

I started this to send to glandix.  I'll send it to the list.  I'm about a
day behind in reading so maybe someone else has already set things straight
better than I can.

bruce