Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: CD-R and ATX case vendor recommendations

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: CD-R and ATX case vendor recommendations
From: Maverick <mluvw47@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:47:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
   My CDRW drive is Yamaha 8x4x32 scsi interface, it
works extremely nice on linux and windows, I think I
paid about $130 white box from ebay. The CD media I
would recommend to record data using the blue dye(the
bottom), since the price should be really cheap, I
don't use the blue one burn music, I would strong
recommend using silver or gold. I have a lot of silver
and it works perfect which is a bit higher price than
the blue one, and of course, it works great on data.

I would check on ebay see you can get the right price
for the CD media and case.

Regards,
Maverick

--- Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> A couple questions.  First we have gone over what
> kind of CD-R media is
> prefered, or at least thought to be better.  I need
> to purchase some
> media for use at work, although I have yet to get a
> CD-R drive myself.
> What brand name/model of media is prefered, which
> should I avoid like
> the plague?  Of course, I think I shall refrain from
> the no-name
> shrink-wrapped bundle of disks.  I was looking at
> the Sony media, but
> while it appears to have a silver reflective I
> believe it uses a blue
> dye, which I'm not sure is good or not.  I happened
> to be looking at
> CompUSA at the media available and asked a passing
> sales associate his
> thoughts and he pointed toward a dusty stack of
> Kodak CD-R media with a
> gold reflective layer.  I'm not sure if he was
> trying to move old stock,
> or not...
>
> Second, I am looking for a mid-tower ATX case.
> CompUSA has a couple of
> models for $65 and $70, the difference being a 250
> or 300 Watt power
> supply.  Is there another vendor around town to
> recommend (I'm not
> thoroughly keen on giving CompUSA my hard earned
> cash and would rather
> patronize a local concern)?  I tried stopping by
> National Computer, but
> a sign on their door states the outlet store will
> only be open on
> Saturdays after January 30th.
>
> Thanks
>
> - Nate >>
>
> --
>  Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          |
> "None can love freedom
>  Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               |
> heartily, but good
>  Location | Wichita, Kansas USA EM17hs          |
> men; the rest love not
>    Wichita area exams; ham radio; Linux info @  |
> freedom, but license."
>              http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           | --