Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: CD-R media

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: CD-R media
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:07:04 -0600

> I've used just about every brand you can think of. The most compatable seem
> to be those with the light green dye -- TDK, Imation, PNY, and CompUSA
> Branded discs.  We've burned hundereds of the CompUSA discs at the Saturday
> Sale, and have only had a handful of discs that people said wouldn't work.
> I think it comes down to what you are using the discs for.  For long term
> archival use I wouldn't use generic discs, but for most everything else, I
> don't have a problem with the cheaper discs.  As long as you handle them
> with the proper care, and don't leave them sitting in the sun, any disc
> will probably last 5 years.

We use a lot of Imations at work with a HP drive and in about 200 disks I
don't know of any coasters. I've used at least 30 of the CompUSA cheapies
(made by Ritek). Like Dale says, I wouldn't use 'em for archival purposes,
but they've all worked just fine.  My only gripe with them is that they are
physically *extremely* fragile. The top coating (which protects the foil
holding your data) is as thin as I've ever seen, like just a coat of lacquer
or something. Very poor in that regard.

Greg

--
"Wow, I didn't know being a super hero could be so painful."