Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: CD-R and ATX case vendor recommendations

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: CD-R and ATX case vendor recommendations
From: Ben Bunck <bbunck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 00:44:21 +0000

On Wednesday 14 February 2001 03:17, you wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> A couple questions.  First we have gone over what kind of CD-R media is
> prefered, or at least thought to be better.  I need to purchase some
> media for use at work, although I have yet to get a CD-R drive myself.
> What brand name/model of media is prefered, which should I avoid like
> the plague?

My CD-RW drive (Acer 4x2x32) has had problems with CompUSA discs.  Some
haven't been able to burn at all, others seem to have a high probability of
becoming coasters.  I even noticed on a few of the old ones that the foil is
beginning to deteriorate.  I've had very good luck with Memorex discs, which
are all I buy anymore.

> Second, I am looking for a mid-tower ATX case.  CompUSA has a couple of
> models for $65 and $70, the difference being a 250 or 300 Watt power
> supply.  Is there another vendor around town to recommend (I'm not
> thoroughly keen on giving CompUSA my hard earned cash and would rather
> patronize a local concern)?

The last case I ordered was an InWin Q500 full tower case with 300W ATX power
supply.  It was about $90, but I have no regrets.  It's huge, very sturdy,
and has more expansion room than I'll ever need.  If you have room for a full
tower, I'd recommend getting one.  Its much easier to work on than any other
case I've dealt with.  By the way, I got it at tccomputers.com.  If you have
to buy online, I'd recommend them...I'll probably buy from them again in the
future.

I've tried to find some good cases around Wichita, but just like
processors/cpu fans/motherboards/.../ there are no dealers around here that
have a good combination of selection and reasonable prices.

Ben