Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: DNS-domain name for home network?

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: DNS-domain name for home network?
From: "Larry Bottorff" <mrprenzl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 18:16:27 -0500

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Larry Bottorff wrote:

> I'd like to allow my home network to respond to a name/domain name
> (www.mypgnet.com) in http, etc, instead of always typing in the IP address
> (192.168.10.1). I won't be on the Internet, just pretending to have my
own.
> I know I need to do something with DNS, but I've got not much s.a.
> experience. I'm using RH6.2

You don't need DNS for that... you just need to put entries in /etc/hosts
and copy it on each machine on the network.  (If you have Windows
machines, the hosts file is in \windows\hosts and has the same format as
the Unix one.  Even when you have DNS, having a minimal hosts file is nice
for when your DNS stops working for some reason.

In RH6.2's /etc/hosts I have:
127.0.0.1 larryserver localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.10.3 larryserver oralinux.passage_de.com oralinux

In Windoze98's HOSTS.SAM I have:
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.10.3 oralinux.passage_de.com

And it doesn't work. I try ping in a dos window and it can't see/find it. As
a matter of fact, if I'm not dialed in, it tries to dial me in to the
Internet. Any ideas?