Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: DNS-domain name for home network?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: DNS-domain name for home network?
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 20:45:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Larry Bottorff wrote:

> I'd like to allow my home network to respond to a name/domain name
> (www.mypgnet.com) in http, etc, instead of always typing in the IP address
> (192.168.10.1). I won't be on the Internet, just pretending to have my own.
> I know I need to do something with DNS, but I've got not much s.a.
> experience. I'm using RH6.2

You don't need DNS for that... you just need to put entries in /etc/hosts
and copy it on each machine on the network.  (If you have Windows
machines, the hosts file is in \windows\hosts and has the same format as
the Unix one.  Even when you have DNS, having a minimal hosts file is nice
for when your DNS stops working for some reason.

(Now imagine thousands of hosts all sharing the same hosts file and
you'll understand why DNS was invented.)

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Life is complex. You know - part real, part imaginary.