Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: DNS-domain name for home network?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: DNS-domain name for home network?
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 22:59:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 27 May 2000, Jonathan Hall wrote:

> Now... to answer your question... You probably want to set up a DNS server
> (i.e. bind).  You'll probably want to read the DNS-HOWTO at the very
> least... you may want to do more reading, too, online, or perhaps the
> O'Reily book called (I believe), "Bind and DNS" (or is it "DNS and Bind?")

Why would he want to use a DNS server?  If his host mappings will never be
sent outside his network and his network is reasonably sized, maintaining
a hosts file would be simpler and less prone to error.  Why complicate
things?  Rarely is the hobbiest going to have the opportunity, let alone
need, to do "real" DNS, so I wouldn't even consider the time spent as a
useful learning opportunity unless the individual were set on becoming a
professional systems administrator or running a serious hobby site.  If
one wants to learn, by all means have fun with it, but if one just wants
to type host names instead of IP addresses on a small local network, I
don't see the point.  (Since I run a public server, I have DNS running on
it... but my local network behind the firewall doesn't have DNS
entries... I maintain that network in the hosts file.)

Just my opinion.  A hosts file is simple enough for my cat to set up.
Bind and how DNS works is the subject large enough to fill a book.

("DNS and Bind")

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
No sense being pessimistic.  It wouldn't work anyway.