Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: DNS-domain name for home network?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: DNS-domain name for home network?
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 23:08:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 27 May 2000, Jonathan Hall wrote:

> yes... you can do that... but IMHO, DNS is much easier... at least once it's
> working (and getting it working for a private LAN really isn't that hard--I
> did it years ago before I even really had a clue what DNS was for).

"Once it's working" is the key phrase.

> If you have more than just a couple machines, DNS quickly becomes easier to
> administrate... and it becomes easier faster when you have Windows or other
> non-Unix OSes, too.

How difficult is it to copy a file to a few machines?  Harder than setting
up bind?  I don't think so.  And how many times is that host file going to
change?  Is it going to change so often that copying the hosts file around
is ultimatly more time consuming than setting up Bind?  Heck, the time it
would take to read the DNS-HOWTO probably exceeds the amount of time any
hobbiest is going to spend copying files around.

If you want to play around, fine.  But my money's on setting up the hosts
file and getting back to work.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Hey, you work at McDonalds, you can afford it!