Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: March 2002:
[webdev] Re: evolution

To: <webdev@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [webdev] Re: evolution
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:37:03 -0600

SSH isn't hard.  The default works well, or you can throw some switches if
you are more paranoid. I haven't set up SSL yet, but it's not supposed to be
too hard.  It's enabled on my servers, but I've yet to configure it. We
would also need _sudo_ set up.

> Could stretch out, but not much. Then a couple more
> days to lay
> out some skeletal content. I'm a little shaky on some acs concepts like
> groups and content sections, so it could take a bit longer to sort them
> out. But it should give you user management, the ability for select users
> to add/structure content, ability for users to comment on content, forums,
> calendar, news, several other useful ready-built modules. Logs and backups
> will take some extra thought.

I'll try to take a look at aolserver this weekend. I've got a spare box or
two that I could use to test things locally.

> > My preference would be to use the platform that offered the
> > most pre-built functionality along with the easiest setup
> > and maintainance. That's not to say we couldn't build something
> > ourselves, but why re-invent the wheel if we don't have to?
> > We may find that ease to use and functionality are mutally
> > exclusive, in which case we'll have to decide which gets
> >priority. My vote is for ease of use.
>
> I've been thinking about writing my own php-based web framework, but it's
> mostly for a different set of users/websites (individual writers, not
> communities), so this effort could be extended if folks really get their
> noses bent out of shape over openacs. I haven't been hearing that, so
> for now the plan of record is to try out openacs. OK?

I don't know enough about openacs/aolserver to make a decision yet. I have
seen it run, but I haven't tried administering it yet. The devil is in the
details, and that's what has soured me on Zope. I'll reserve judgement on
openacs until we/I have a prototype running.

That's my take. Hopefully some others will add to the discussion.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Vice Chairman & Secretary - info@xxxxxxxxx