Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: March 2002:
[webdev] Re: evolution

To: <webdev@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [webdev] Re: evolution
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:58:40 -0600

I'd really like to find something that would be easy to maintain not only by us,
but by whoever takes it over in the future. I don't see us having many
volunteers if the system requires learning a bunch of new stuff to operate.

Before we actually build the new site, I think we should set up a test-bed and
see how it actually works in practice.

> The latter is a pretty substantial effort (I'll go into why in a
> future missive), so what I want to do first is to ask each of you
> to comment on:
>
>  1) What you do/don't like about the current website.
>
>  2) What new features would you like to see in the aclug website.

Content is where we're severely lacking. I'm not sure how we're fix this, but
some things that would go towards improving the overall content in no particular
order:

 * News feeds from various Linux sites & Tech sites

 * Automated FAQ system. FAQ-O-Matic or something similar

 * A photo gallery for events pictures.

 * Mirroring some of the LDP?

 * A good search system. The option to feed the query to
   Google, etc?

 * A maintainable links page.  We should link to all the
   Major dists & their errata. Security updates should be
   easy to find.

 * Presentation notes archive.

 * General Business notes archive.

I'm sure there's more I haven't thought of yet. :-)

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Vice Chairman & Secretary - info@xxxxxxxxx