Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2003:
[linux-help] Re: cablemodem question

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: cablemodem question
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:15:01 -0600

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 01:01:58PM -0600, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:

> > support and complain until they send someone out to check.
>
> what's the best way to keep a log?  i mean, if i say "ssh to datility" was
> broken during these hours, they could easily say "maybe it's just a problem

Well, you'll need to find out just what the extent of the outage is, too.
Can you reach other sites?

Also, a traceroute is a good tool to have.  I like mtr, which is somewhat
like a continuous traceroute.  It can provide more accurate statistical
information than a standard traceroute can.  With that, you should be able
to tell if you're even getting off their network.  Try running it when
everything is OK and again when it's down and note the difference.

> that i rarely get good ones)...  my way of knowing when i go down is 1.) if
> i'm in an ssh session to lloydnet.org (hosted @ datility), it locks, 2.) IM
> goes down (which i realize isn't a 100% reliable way of telling if a
> connection is alive or not), 3.) ping to google stops...  my thinking is
> that this is a fairly good indicator, since i'm not just testing
> connections to one network (for instance datility)...

Yes, that's good to know.

But what I meant was an old-fashioned log, even paper and pencil will work
:-)  Just so you can say "On Jan 20, you were down from 8:37 till 9:20 and
again from 3:30 till 5:00, and those were just the times I was HOME..."

-- John