Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2003:
[linux-help] Re: cablemodem question

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: cablemodem question
From: ironrose <ironrose@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 23:45:35 -0600

SMC have very good cable modems and they are very cost effective.  Some
tech support people have said that having a mixture of SMC and other
brands can cause some problems,  the SMC keeps resending the signal and
therefore slows down the network.  It may have been a few isolated cases
rather than being a true pattern.

What happened to the Best Data cable modem?  Even though Cox doesn't
actually support it, mine works great.  Cox can't control (limit the
bandwidth) some cable modems as well as others.  The Toshiba and the
Surfboard are the easiest for them to limit the speed with.