Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2003:
[linux-help] Re: cablemodem question

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: cablemodem question
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:16:44 -0600

> You might look into something like nagios www.nagios.org It's a network
> monitoring system, though it may be a bit of overkill for your needs.  I
> have my nagios server set up to check connectivity to my ISP's routers
and
> the outside network every 15 minutes.  It warns me whe ping times exceed
> certian threshold or the service becomes totally unavailable.  I've used
> this information to successufully persuade my ISP that there is a problem
on
> their network that needs correcting.

i'll look into it... we use it at work, but i wasn't the one who set it up,
so i haven't had any experience with it...  is it any easier to setup than
it was before the name change?  (iirc, it used to be net saint or something
like that)...  i piddled around w/ it a while back on my fbsd box but never
really got anywhere on it (granted, i spent probably less than 15 min on it
:P)

thanks for all the help, everyone!
gLaNDix

p.s. i picked up a new splitter and RG-6 cable just in case...  that way,
they have absolutely nothing on me if it still has problems :)