Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2003:
[linux-help] Re: cablemodem question

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: cablemodem question
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:07:02 -0600

On Friday 31 January 2003 10:25, you wrote:
> > I have a Best Data CMX110 which I use heavily and has never hicupped.
> >  The problem is with Cox who has been having a lot of problems.  They
> > now admit the problems exist but are cagely declining to state exactly
> > what the problems are.  Kinda reminds me of the Keystone cops franticaly
> > running around but accomplishly nothing.  They will try to tell your
> > cable modem is bad or make you reset it numerous times.  You reset it by
> > uplugging the power to it for about 15 seconds and then reapply power.
> >  Don't be too hasty in disposing of your Best Data Cable modem for it
> > may still be good..
>
> hmm, that's the same model i have...  the problem i run into is that i will
> be running fine for a while, then all of a sudden, i'm getting 100% packet
> loss (this is very noticable when *attempting* to work via ssh)...  it will
> sometimes be down for a matter of seconds, to a matter of minutes (causing
> PuTTY to drop the connection and making me lose anything not saved)...
> also, the modem will occasionally lose lock and i will have to power cycle
> the modem to get back online... obviously not the most ideal situation
> ESPECIALLY since this started happening much more after they hiked the
> price up! :(  right now, i'm borrowing a surfboard from the Cox guy that
> looked at my equip and it's doing a little better, but it's nothing like
> the service used to be about 2 yrs ago when i lived in wichita... ever
> since i moved to hesston, the whole sh*thouse went up in flames and i could
> probably have a more stable connection with dialup!
>
> is anyone else having similar problems w/ cox?  if so, any ideas where to
> start bitching or what kind of information would convince them how f-ed up
> their service is for the cost?  it's getting really frustrating that i'm
> paying for an "always on" connection which is rather a "eh, maybe i'll
> work, maybe i won't" connection :S

Lately Cox has been having problems. I have the same model as you two. I have
a friend who has a surfboard as well, and we both often have problems at
similar times. Neither modem has never seemed to be the cause of it. My Modem
has seemed to be the better of the two, and I have not had a problem with it.

See if there is some way to check the lines in the area, and do it if you
can. Does the one do it as well?

It sounds like either a particular bad cable modem or a line/problem you
can't fix.

James L