Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Red Hat 7.2 & grip

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Red Hat 7.2 & grip
From: Michael Moore <mrmoore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 20:38:49 -0600

Anne McCadden wrote:

>Has anyone tried using Grip?  It is an mp3 ripper & encoder.  I am
>getting errors that it can't find the executable for the ripper.  I
>can't find the path it either, but it suppose to be installed.  If
>anyone interested in giving a presentation on it, I would be interested
>in learning more about it?
>
>I am collecting mp3 files for a MySQL database and Grip is suppose to
>put the files in the database for you.  It sounds very interesting.
>~Ironrose
>-- This is the linux-help@xxxxxxxxx list.  To unsubscribe,
>visit http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

I just starting using Grip for the first time this evening and I read
the man & info pages on it.  I was able to rip some CD's.

Red Hat 7.2 should have installed (by default) Grip executable in the
/usr/bin directory.

If you should decide to rip and encode mp3 it should place the files in
your home directory under your default encoder.  If your default decoder
is oggenc then you should find your ripped+encoded files in /home/ogg
directory.

After you have confirmed that you indeed have Grip then you might make
sure your permissions are set correctly on Grip and your CD drive so you
can rip it under your user account.

Hope this helps.  I have only been using Grip for the last couple of
hours and I have only been using Linux for one month now.  So, maybe
somebody else can help you out more than I.

I haven't made it to one of the meetings yet.  I heard they had one this
evening.  I plan on attending the next one.  When would that be?  Since,
the 1st is a Holiday will the next meeting be on the 8th or 15th?