Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2001:
[linux-help] Re: forget root password

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: forget root password
From: j m wagle <jmwagle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 16:11:16 -0500

thanks for your reply,
ok, i 'vi'-ed the /etc/passwd file, placed an 'x', in the 'password'
location,...
continued with the procedure specified earlier (below),...
and have the same results, --
I cannot use my 'root' sign-on when I am not in single user mode,

by the way the following is the 'new' first line in my passwd file,

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

again, thanks for your replies.
mw
anyone have any ideas where I could be going wrong?
mike wagle,
wichita, ks