[gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:49:43 -0700 (PDT)

> Gopher+ or mime-at-the-end-of-the-menu-entry have both the same problem,
> when you have an url, it's not possible to say what's the document type.

And that's why I think this is ultimately doomed to fail. Part of what
makes the itemtype so useful is because the behaviour for any given URL is
totally known in advance. This makes client support a snap. So, short of
a way to embed either an extended itemtype or a MIME type in the URL, this
is probably going to wind up an academic exercise.

W/r/t an earlier post I made, I did play around with various Overbite
internal URL schemes for menus like this, but none were particularly
satisfactory and having overbite:// URLs actually just fractionates the
user community by having a non-interoperable URL format.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- Remember, Windows is not a virus. Viruses actually do something. -----------