[gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:37:42 -0700 (PDT)

> > > Exactly - you can't rely on '/' being the separator, or that the last
> > > section cut off yields the valid parent dir, or even that there are
> > > directories.

> > And here goes an example against the method I suggested.
> > An url pointing at a jumpjet resource:

> Backslashes are a native feature of all DOS and Windows based Gopher
> Servers.

Exactly. What Nuno was getting at is that the path separator will vary from
system to system -- off the top of my head, I can think of \ (FAT), /, :
(Mac HFS), etc. And then there's VMS, and ...

I even have an old Alpha Micro server here and it doesn't *have* a concept
of paths at all, just ersatzes, disks and PPNs.

AFAIC, trying to parse the selector for parent menus is just going to be a
big kludge and won't work all the time or everywhere.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- With a rubber duck, one's never alone. -- Douglas Adams, "HGTTG" -----------