[gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:45:03 -0700 (PDT)

> At this point I'd much rather drop this protocol extension thing, and
> focus on using the existing technology to the fullest.. whatever that
> means :)

I'm kind of getting there myself, though the perfectionist in me still
wants perfect determinism for any given item type. I think I need to put
"You Can't Always Get What You Want" on loop for a few days.

>  For that matter, I'd love a client for Windows Mobile 6.. also for the
> iphone 3G :)

I was playing with writing something for the iPhone, but I'm getting very
irritated with Apple's SDKs and programmer support is absolutely nil. Also,
I don't like Objective-C very much.

>  On the server side: full text search engine. I have some experience
> with using the HyperEstraier engine. I have about 16 gigabytes of text
> indexed; I can search and view results over Gopher (with a python
> "mole"), it's pretty fast and convenient. It also supports boolean
> operators and phrase search.
>  It doesn't have a Gopher spider currently per se, but it's fully open
> source; maybe we could fit a spider to it? (Or even get the existing
> Veronica spider to talk to it?)
>  (Setting up and initializing the search db (from local data) is very
> easy, so the required effort to play with it is minimal.)

What text do you have indexed? I'd rather not have Veronica talking to
anything but its own internal data sources (nothing personal, I'm just
paranoid like that), but I'd love to see another search solution on the
scene.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- This message will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Jim. -- M:I ----