Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Technology

Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Technology
From: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:19:32 +0200

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 04:11:07PM +0000, Arnstein Lindgard wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 14:40:48 +0200
> Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Go monarchy --> republic. Use CMA (ASV automatische Stadtverwaltung in
> > german), available with version 1.14.
> >
> > *Plan* your development. Build cities with 1 to 3 free tiles between them.
> > Build cities fast. Put CMA to maximum food until city size 2, then maximize
> > production until settler is built. Back to max food then. Build some roads
> > and irrigation. When you have enough cities, make them grow to size 3, then
> > maximize production. When most cities are size 3, switch to republic. Build
> > defender, a harbour and a temple as fast as you can. Use your gold. Then let
> > your cities grow to size 6..7 (make a big party for them :). Maximize
> > science
> > in the cities.
>
> It just occured to me that you just described how the CMA should
> ideally work. In the settling phase, you'd want your "settling
> preset" to switch from Food to Prod at size 2. If you have
> Michelangelo, you'd want your research cities to switch from Food to
> Sci at size 5. If you play ICS, you'd want to always switch to Prod
> at size 3. The key would be a size trigger. The size could even be
> "the max happy size for this particular city". Related thinking for a
> worklist agent: When city no longer supports a settler, build one
> settler before continuing. Maybe your worker decided to settle. It
> could be phrased "support one settler, then build caravans". For
> hawkish Republicans, "build Ironclad until city supports one
> unhappyness-generating-unit, otherwise build diplomats". So if your
> clad died, the city would switch to ironclad again, before continuing
> on diplomats.

When Raimar presented the CMA at FUADEC is said to him that CMA is
rather useless without that triggers, but he said it would be to
complicate to have sizedependend rules.

A production MA like you describe it would be a big help for playing.
Hope someone will code it sometime (For a better AI we need it anyway.)

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.