Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Technology

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Technology
From: David Paigen <paigen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:26:00 -0700

Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 09:51:46AM -0700, David Paigen wrote:
> >
> > func CMA_loop( city )               // run when cma needed
> >     do_all_normal_cma_processing()
> >     if( option.script_filename exists )
> >     tclshell = fork_tcl_shell()
> >     set_tcl_variables( tclshell, city )
> >     run_tcl_script( tclshell, option.script_filename )
> >     get_tcl_return_values( tclshell )
> >     close_tcl_shell( tclshell )
> >     endif
> > endfunc
>
> I like this idea, esp. the use of tcl, which gives you additionally access to
> an easy programmable GUI.
>
> > The script should be prevented from:
> >     Buying things
> >     setting tax rates
> >     moving units
> >     seeing outside the city limits
> >     setting tech priorities
>
> Why this? The only thing what would be hard to play against is moving units,
> but I think one can handle it.

Depends.  Some of those activities have wider scope than a single
city.  Unless there is some way for the cma agents to cooperate
how will you decide, for example, which citys get to buy their
current unit?  Or what tech to pursue?  Make the human player
responsible for something...  :-)

As for moving units, I think the speed of a script would unbalance
the play too much.  There is no way a human can compete against
computer speed units.  Other RTS games limit the speed of computer
units.

If the scripts can do anything, then people will start developing
freeciv robots and you won't know if you are in a fair game or not.

I am not on the dev list for freeciv.  Would anyone like to forward
these ideas there?

-David Paigen