Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Technology

To: David Paigen <paigen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Technology
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 07:47:08 -0300 (ADT)

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003, David Paigen wrote:

> How about a scripting interface?  At first I was surprised at the
> lack of freeciv robots, but then I realized what that could do to
> the human component of the game.  But an api that only allowed
> city management and could not access units, their locations, or
> see anything, might not upset the balance too much.  Against the

[snip]

> The script should be prevented from:
>       Buying things
>       setting tax rates
>       moving units
>       seeing outside the city limits
>       setting tech priorities

Why prevent it? We want AI to eventually be in the clients not in the
server (or maybe initially in addition to being in the server). Scripting
might be a baby-step toward that goal.

Also although I might not want to try to play manually whilst also running
big scripts that might get in my own way, if I run a script when I go on
vacation so that in (for example) a one turn per day game I might still
hope to find my nation in existence when I return a week or few weeks
later I would certainly want it to have done everything I could have done
subject only to my ability to tell it what I would do, not subject instead
or as well to arbitrary anti-Turing-test restrictions...

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/