Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Technology

To: soeren.d.schulze@xxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Technology
From: John Wheeler <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 19:37:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- soeren.d.schulze@xxxxxx wrote:
>What can I do to discover technology faster?

Some pretty good ideas have been suggested already,
but I thought I could add a few.

First and foremost, for technology, get your trade in
your capital as high as possible.  It's the only one
that doesn't suffer severe penalties under despotism.
Frequently, I will build my first city on wine or
gold, especially if I can get another (or gems) within
the city radius.  For the second city, I build it
where I can get high food and/or shields (trying to
get what my capital doesn't have).

Second, use different preset CMAs to conveniently
change from high food, to high production, to high
science, etc.  I like giving ones I use in the early
part of the game the names of Greek gods.  For
example, one of my favorites:

"Bacchus (C+F+G-20)",1,25,0,1,0,1,-20,1,0,1,0,1,1,0,50

(That is cut&pasted straight from my .civclientrc
file. If you don't have any presets, start up a game,
save an arbitrary preset, then paste that in, updating
the number_of_presets count. For input by hand, that's
food minimum +1, factor 25; gold minimum -20;
celebrate checked, factor 50; everything else minimum
0, factor 1.)

Bacchus is the god of wine.  When he is in charge, no
one is unhappy, and there is more than enough food to
go around.  During the bacchanal, cities grow fast,
but the economy gets neglected.

Some conventions I use to remind me of what the CMA
does (in paraentheses): the first letter of each
possible factor to maximize for (except for Science I
use 'I', since 'S' already stand for shields), in the
order of priority.  When there is a minimum, I use '+'
for +1, '++' for +2, and '+n' for +n (similarly for
negative).

BTW, I want to say, since CMAs have been added,
freeciv has been the greatest computer
simulation/strategy game I've ever played.  They do a
wonderful job of eliminating all the picayune details.

I'd love to read what CMA presets others use.

++JohnWheeler