Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: RTS version of Freeciv; need to change my email address

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: RTS version of Freeciv; need to change my email address
From: "C Ratchet" <zratchet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 23:24:28 +0000

Do you want to join the project or do you just support it in general? I
might talk to the people on the freeciv-java board and see if they can offer
any help. Why do you say redoing the server is out of the question?
Incompatibility? Probably will have to do some new server code for the
changes planned (ie Turnbased, Strategic RPG, Real Time Strategy support)
but will probably try to support Freeciv clients and maybe a few other
opensource game clients as well. What would be the problem about 3D? The
main thing that would be wanted would be to improve it for allowing
altitude, and to allow rotation and zoom of the view (so you could zoom into
your cities in a multi-city game and do stuff in it, and maybe even zooming
through planets and galaxies)
I just got a new member today and Andrew John Hughes on this board is
interested, so development will probably start in earnest soon.

Thanks
Ratchet
>From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: C Ratchet <zratchet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>CC: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [Freeciv] Re: RTS version of Freeciv; need to change my email
>address
>Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 23:05:17 +0200
>
>On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 08:31:57PM +0000, C Ratchet wrote:
> >
> > We are currently working on getting more members (majorly needed!) We
>have
> > 10 members currently but most seem to be busy, so that is why I asked if
> > anyone would be interested in helping. Hopefully we can get at least an
> > alpha out by August, and have a more complete version by end of year.
>Our
> > main needs are Java and XML people, and also I'm thinking of redoing the
> > server in either Java, PHP or Perl (with collaboration with other
>members,
> > I'm currently mainly maintainer, project manager, and a
> > graphic/documentation person and know a little VB, HTML and
>Java/Javascript)
> > We also need graphic designers, and 3D people once we get what 3D engine
> > use figured out - probably Crystal Space, Genesis 3D, QuakeForge, or
> > Opale.Soya. Hopefully we'll have ramped up enough with getting more
>people
> > to have a basic alpha by August, but probably nothing more than that.
>
>As I said: you get my support for a Java client. Note that there is an old
>version somewhere.
>
>Redoing the server is IMHO out of question. I'm not sure how a 3D
>client will work.
>
>       Raimar
>
>--
>  email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   "With a PC, I always felt limited by the software available.
>    On Unix, I am limited by my knowledge."
>     -- Peter J. Schoenster <pschon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

---

Check out Age of Freedom - http://ageofreedom.sf.net