Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: RTS version of Freeciv; need to change my email address

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: RTS version of Freeciv; need to change my email address
From: Andrew John Hughes <hughes2002@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:43:52 +0100

A GUI on a server should be optional.  When a server is truly being a server
to something like the Net, it should not really have a graphical environment
for a GUI as it just opens another can of security problems.  Fine if you
want a GUI to simplify the server for smaller situations, but you should al=
so
have a standard CLI interface for those who want it, and when a GUI isn't
appropriate.
Other than that, I think the project sounds good, although XML is only going
to be better than just plain text without markup, if you're going to make u=
se
of the tree-structure parsing it produces.

=2D --
Andrew :-)

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 10:03 pm, you wrote:
> Yes I know it requires a lot of time that is why I have the Age of Freedom
> project. GUI on the server, in my opinion, is nice for people that aren't
> techies (though I am one, I like GUI's more than CLI interfaces) The XML
> advantage I think is that it can be both edited in an editor and through
> code, and it is pretty easy to read, and also good for maps (I have other
> projects that are developing maps in XML) Thrown objects are those such as
> catapaulted rocks, lightning bolts, etc.
>
> Ratchet
>
> From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> >To: C Ratchet <zratchet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >CC: jocuri@xxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: [Freeciv] Re: RTS version of Freeciv; need to change my email
> >address
> >Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 20:48:51 +0200
> >
> >On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 06:05:37PM +0000, C Ratchet wrote:
> > > My idea is pretty much completely rewriting freeciv, by making the
> >
> >server be
> >
> > > GUI-based and still have all options set through it, and having Turn
> >
> >Based,
> >
> > > RTS and Strategic RPG options. The client would be completely rewritt=
en

> > > use 3D graphics and XML-based data for maps, terrains, units, special=
s,
> > > resources, animals, thrown objects, etc. Also will add some new ideas
> >
> >like
> >
> > > Morale and Pollution.
> >
> >You know that this requires a lot of time? Also adding GUI to the
> >server is the wrong decision IMHO. What are the advantages of XML?
> >What are thrown objects?
> >
> >     Raimar
> >
> >--
> >  email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >  "- Amiga Y2K fixes (a bit late, wouldn't you say?)"
> >     -- Linus Torvalds about linux 2.4.0 at 4 Jan 2001
>
> ---
>
> Check out Age of Freedom - http://ageofreedom.sf.net

=2D --