Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: RTS version of Freeciv; need to change my email address

To: C Ratchet <zratchet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: RTS version of Freeciv; need to change my email address
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:12:53 +0200

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 11:24:28PM +0000, C Ratchet wrote:

> Do you want to join the project or do you just support it in
> general?

I can answer code questions and give advise about architecture. But no
real coding.

> might talk to the people on the freeciv-java board and see if they
> can offer any help.

The freeciv-java list is dead. The java client was last modified in
December 1998.

> Why do you say redoing the server is out of the question?

We are talking here about 35k (server/) + 11k(half of common/) = 46k
lines. Either you discard compatibility and make your model a lot
easier (your description doesn't sound like this) or you do wonders
with PHP (which I don't know) or you spend 6 months porting it and
then have to track every other patch we apply to the server.

> Incompatibility? Probably will have to do some new server code for
> the changes planned (ie Turnbased, Strategic RPG, Real Time Strategy
> support) but will probably try to support Freeciv clients and maybe
> a few other opensource game clients as well. What would be the
> problem about 3D? The main thing that would be wanted would be to
> improve it for allowing altitude, and to allow rotation and zoom of
> the view (so you could zoom into your cities in a multi-city game
> and do stuff in it, and maybe even zooming through planets and
> galaxies) I just got a new member today and Andrew John Hughes on
> this board is interested, so development will probably start in
> earnest soon.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "I do feel kind of sorry for Microsoft. Their attornies and marketing