Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: freeciv server setup question

To: Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Sean Bickel <sbickel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: freeciv server setup question
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 11:13:12 +0100

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 01:56:30AM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 03:37:31PM -0600, Sean Bickel wrote:
> >
> > I guess play by mail isn't quite what I am thinking of. You still connect to
> > the server to play, but just when its your turn. You don't mail the turns
> > and moves from player to player you just mail them a notice that the game
> > can't continue till they finish their turn.
>
> OK, play without a timeout then.
>
> > What happens with freeciv server now if a player gets disconnected?
>
> Nothing, except when you use the option to turn such a player to
> AI-controlled automatically,  Games on civserver.freeciv.org however
> will be aborted if no one has been connected for more than a minute.
> (The -quitidle option implements this.)

Actually, when all human players have (temporarly) disconnected,
the server performs a "turn done" op. If you set the turnblock
server option to 1 (which is 0 as default), you avoids this.

This means, if you use timeout = 0 and turnblock = 1, you should
be able to play a "timeless" game with a continiously running server.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/