Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: freeciv server setup question

To: Sean Bickel <sbickel@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: freeciv server setup question
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 14:10:40 -0800

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 03:37:31PM -0600, Sean Bickel wrote:

> I guess play by mail isn't quite what I am thinking of. You still connect to
> the server to play, but just when its your turn. You don't mail the turns
> and moves from player to player you just mail them a notice that the game
> can't continue till they finish their turn.
>
> What happens with freeciv server now if a player gets disconnected?
>
> The only thing I would like to see is where a player can reconnect if he
> drops. What would be nice is if the game can send an email letting a player
> know everyone is waiting on them to finish their turn.

You might be able to accomplish what you want.

You'll have to modify the server so that it puts the player state into the
response of /list just like it does in the player list in the client (F3).

If you create a wrapper.  You set stdin for civserver to a tail -f of a
file, and also read stdout.  Set timeout to 0, then every minute or so send
ciserver a /list.  You can then parse the output to figure out who is
still "moving" and who has pressed "turn done".  You'll need a
player->email file as well of coure.

--
Paul Zastoupil