Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: freeciv server setup question

To: Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: freeciv server setup question
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 01:56:30 +0100

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 03:37:31PM -0600, Sean Bickel wrote:

> I guess play by mail isn't quite what I am thinking of. You still connect to
> the server to play, but just when its your turn. You don't mail the turns
> and moves from player to player you just mail them a notice that the game
> can't continue till they finish their turn.

OK, play without a timeout then.

> What happens with freeciv server now if a player gets disconnected?

Nothing, except when you use the option to turn such a player to
AI-controlled automatically,  Games on civserver.freeciv.org however
will be aborted if no one has been connected for more than a minute.
(The -quitidle option implements this.)

> The only thing I would like to see is where a player can reconnect if he
> drops. What would be nice is if the game can send an email letting a player
> know everyone is waiting on them to finish their turn.

What do you do if two players have to play?  Or would it be strictly turn-based?
There doesn't seem to be an opion to enforce that yet.

It wouldn't be too hard to write a filter on the civserver output that would
send the e-mails, but it would be harder to obtain reliable e-mail addresses.
It would require a registration + confirm-by-email procedure, I think.

--
Reinier