Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: ICS : Are map resources part of the problem?

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: ICS : Are map resources part of the problem?
From: Mathias Uhlmann <Mathias.Uhlmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 11:03:56 +0100

Hi!

loic vigneras wrote:

> here is an idea I just had about this probleme :
> In reflect of reality, in the early ages of a civilisation, lot of
> small towns is (or may be) just the good way.

And they were sometimes founded really close to each other. So smallpox ist
realistic.

> But as the time pass, to
> ensure the stability of your civilisation, it comes more and more
> important to have the good ratio between your empire capital, your
> provincals capitals and all the concerned towns in terms of size and
> influence (wonders may have an impact here).

Well, I don't think thats the point. Industrialization was the starting point
for
city growth. This is in a way already implemented in FreeCiv. I always felt that
once I discovered Industrialization, larger cities (that could afford Factories
and so) were good. However since you need all the small cities in the beginning,
you cannot really grow large cities later on. The cities simply don't have
enough
space. What is needed is some way to combine cities. (What did happen/is
happening in the real world all the time.)

> The good ratio may vary in fuction of the distance (and here some tech
> and their application as railroad may have an impact). the ratio may
> need to be higher if there is a high ratio between existing military
> units and the number of towns.
>
> the penalty of a too low ratio can be first unhappyness and even then
> secession. the concerned town may even rally an other civilisation if
> this one is near, hve a high level of happyness and represent a good
> ratio for the town.

It's too complicated. I wouldn't want to be forced to grow a larger city every x
fields.

> Just have a little thougth about the implications in terms of
> strategies and about the new ways to win...

Lot's of small cities would still win the game. You would just be forced to grow
some of your cities.

Ciao.
Mathias.