Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2001:
[Freeciv] FAQ #2 (was: how to start a game)

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Subject: [Freeciv] FAQ #2 (was: how to start a game)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 03:33:35 +0100

> I also use Mandrake 7.2, and my problem is that I can't get the client to
> connect to the local server. The local server is running, but is not being
> noticed by the client. I can see metaservers fine, but local server? not a
> sausage. Message in client: 'No route to host'...

This is in the FAQ but I'm sure it could be explained better.  You need to
set up a pseudo-network to yourself (a loopback interface).  Create a route
to 127.0.0.1 aka localhost.

Mandrake should be doing this for you, really.

> T+~25min: (after RTFFAQ & checking stuff out) Ok, this is the problem i've
> been (and still am) having: while localhost is defined, it drops 100% of
> packets. I realize this isn't the place to get such stuff solved, but It
> might be something for [original poster] to look at if you haven't solved it
> already.

ifconfig, route, /etc/route.conf

% fgrep 127 /linux/root/etc/route.conf
127.0.0.0               0.0.0.0                 255.255.255.0           lo

is probably what you're missing, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least
to find Mandrake using a different name or location to that file, or
not using it at all.

--
Reinier