Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#19049) Problematic/buggy strings.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#19049) Problematic/buggy strings.
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 10:24:02 +0200

Per I. Mathisen wrote on Aug 01, 23:39 (-0700):

> On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
> > How much we are ready to sacrifice in order to get better translations.
>
> The better question is, how much can we simplify to make better
> translations easier? There are some places were we torture even the
> English language to provide some information that could be better
> presented in other ways, even for English speakers (readers).
>
> I know I am guilty of a particularly bad piece, the government helptext. I
> should fix that soon by reverting back to the way it was before, with
> static helptexts.

I disagree here. The old static texts have been a big lot of text to
keep up to date, with a lot of slight changes hard to track down. The
new texts have been easy to translate and fulfill the purpose. But they
can be improved. Make a more verbose description for some items, make
plural forms.

The main advantage of the new system (talking of 2.1, uuh?) is, that
the new texts are potentially always correct. I'm not quite sure
whether the ruleset data is filled in correctly in all cases, it
should, no?

Also, the texts allow ruleset *changes*.

We can do better representation of it in the help. We can do automatic
comparisons (democracy vs. republic in civ 2 rules).

Christian