Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#19049) Problematic/buggy strings.

To: sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#19049) Problematic/buggy strings.
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <cazfi74@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 16:44:49 -0700

On 8/1/06, Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxx wrote:

> >> No, the text is something like
> >>
> >>    "City: Helsinki (Finland, Friendly) with City Walls" or
> >>    "City: Helsinki (Finland, Friendly) with City Walls, Coastal Defense" or
> >>    "City: Helsinki (Finland, Friendly) with City Walls, Coastal Defense,
> >> SDI Defense"
> >>
> >> and so on.  You can see there are a potentially unlimited number of
> >> cases.  However for the default ruleset the number of cases is clearly
> >> very limited as only certain buildings are "visible from outside the
> >> city".  And if we had too long a list, then a list isn't the right way
> >> to store it anyway.
> >
> > That does not seem to affect the result - in both cases, "City Walls,
> > Coastal Defense" or "City Walls, Coastal Defense" or other possibilities
> > can be built separately and stored to a string, and the start can be
> > stored to another string, and
> > _("%s with %s"), string1, string2 can be translateable.
> >
> > In addition, either _("%s, %s"), list_so_far, new_addition_to_list or
> > _(", ") can be translated if marked as such. (A context indicator for
> > list separator is appreciated. :))
>
> Yes, it could maybe be improved.  Though I don't see how many different
> ways "%s with %s" can be translated that this change would help with...

 Sini: What kind of finnish text you want to generate?

 It cannot be translated directly as "%s %s kanssa", as that would
require genetive forms of all the buildings in list.

 I would go for "%s Rakennukset: %s", which translates back to
english: "%s Buildings: %s". That is possible to achieve with current
code by translating "?beforebuildinglist:with" ->
"?beforebuildinglist:Rakennukset:"

 - ML