Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#17042) mac os x (Tiger) and xcode on intel - freec

To: ian@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#17042) mac os x (Tiger) and xcode on intel - freeciv crashes machine
From: "Jason Dorje Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 20:57:39 -0700

Ian Wallace wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I'm compiling the packages, and I have run into some compile errors
> about missing symbols:
>
> gcc  -g -O2 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wmissing-prototypes -
> Wmissing-declarations   -o civserver  civserver.o ../utility/
> libcivutility.a ../common/libcivcommon.a ../ai/libcivai.a ../utility/
> libcivutility.a ./libcivserver.a ../utility/libcivutility.a ../common/
> libcivcommon.a ../ai/libcivai.a ../utility/libcivutility.a ./
> libcivserver.a ../utility/libcivutility.a ../common/aicore/
> libaicore.a ./generator/libgenerator.a userdb/libuserdb.a -
> lreadline   -lz  -liconv
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _rl_forced_update_display
> _history_truncate_file
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [civserver] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> My thought is that it seems that there is an include file missing:
>
> grep -R _rl_forced_update_display *
> Binary file server/console.o matches
> Binary file server/libcivserver.a matches
>
> Perhaps the console.o needs to be included, or at least the
> console.h.  I'm not sure.  Anyway, if you have any advice, that would
> be great.  I don't think I will be getting past this myself.
>
> Ian

> Hello again,
>
> I'm compiling the packages, and I have run into some compile errors
> about missing symbols:
>
> gcc  -g -O2 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wmissing-prototypes
> -Wmissing-declarations   -o civserver  civserver.o
> ../utility/libcivutility.a ../common/libcivcommon.a ../ai/libcivai.a
> ../utility/libcivutility.a ./libcivserver.a ../utility/libcivutility.a
> ../common/libcivcommon.a ../ai/libcivai.a ../utility/libcivutility.a
> ./libcivserver.a ../utility/libcivutility.a ../common/aicore/libaicore.a
> ./generator/libgenerator.a userdb/libuserdb.a -lreadline   -lz  -liconv
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _rl_forced_update_display
> _history_truncate_file
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [civserver] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> My thought is that it seems that there is an include file missing:
>
> grep -R _rl_forced_update_display *
> Binary file server/console.o matches
> Binary file server/libcivserver.a matches
>
> Perhaps the console.o needs to be included, or at least the console.h.
> I'm not sure.  Anyway, if you have any advice, that would be great.  I
> don't think I will be getting past this myself.

Undefined symbols means a library is missing.  readline.h gives
reference to the _rl_forced_update_display function but -lreadline does
not have it.  There are several reasons why this may happen, of which a
few are easy to fix.

Question: what version of readline do you have?

The easiest fix is to use --without-readline on your configure line.

-jason